December 5, 2015

The Good Dinosaur

2015 - 2.8/5
(did not watch in 3D)

Loved the short, Sanjay’s Super Team.
It was super cute and I like that Pixar/Disney are branching out in terms of character ethnicity (first being Big Hero 6).

From the get-go, this movie reminded me of The Land Before Time and Bambi. At some points, I was even reminded of The Lion King and Homeward Bound. So if you’ve seen those, then this is just an updated, recycled plot.

The actual plot of the movie is been done over many times; someone ends up getting lost and needs to find their way home, in the meanwhile, learning some life lessons along the way. The only catch (if that’s the proper word) is that the someone is a dinosaur, fearful and timid Arlo, and his sidekick is a human, Spot. Basically, the dinosaurs act like humans, and the humans act like animals. Not very creative and not the standards I hold Pixar to. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I hated that, I'm just saying that it was an interesting twist that wasn't perfectly developed.

I was a tad bit annoyed that the dinosaurs looked too cartoony, especially considering the scenery in this movie was amazing! I looked as if they filmed these places and added the dinosaurs in after the fact.

I could see that they were trying to get some laugh in the scene that Arlo and Spot (what a stupid name by the way; Pixar is better than that) ate the rotten fruit and tripped out. I was pretty surprised to see that in a movie meant for kids. I didn’t like how some of the side characters had Southern accents, while some had cowboy accents.

The plot and script were not the movies high points, the animation bumped up my score a bit. Overall, the animation aside, it was fine.

Apparently the Pizza Planet truck was in there somewhere, but I didn’t see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment