April 4, 2015

Furious 7

2015 - 3/5
Fast Five (2011)
#ForPaul

I saw this in AVX (which cost $3 more) and I'm not sure if I could pick out whether or not it was actually better than the regular screen.

I have loved this franchise from the get-go (minus the 2nd and 3rd). I hated the fact that Paul Walker died, not just because I think he belongs in this movie (and also not just because he’s hot), but I liked seeing the relationship between Brian and Dom and the others develop.

This movie was good… for what it was. Basically, you need to put aside the 3 things that matter in a movie (good plot, script and acting) in order to enjoy this one. And once you put those 3 things aside, this movie is pretty darn entertaining! Having said that, I’m not going to bother commenting a whole lot on the plot, script or acting.

Plot: this one didn’t really have a great storyline; it kind of wore really thin.
Script: far to many cheesy one-liners and Dom saying the word “family”.
Acting: well…

I will say that I liked the 5th and 6th ones more, but I sat in that theatre for 2 hours and 17 minutes and it did not feel like a 2hr17min long movie. I love how they keep going to different places around the world: Fast 5 = Rio; Fast & Furious 6 = UK; Furious 7 = Abu Dhabi.

I have a feeling that most people have either already seen this, or they’re going to see it soon, so I’ll just say, that if you’ve invested your time in watching the other 6, I’d highly recommend watching this one. Overall, this movie had great flow, fun action, it got your adrenaline pumping and a good soundtrack to bring it all together.

Knowing that Paul Walker has passed away (RIP), I will say that I did not cry or tear up at the end, but I sure did have a huge lump in my throat. Especially with the song they chose for his send off.


***SPOILERS***

I didn’t like how a lot of the scenes with Brian were in dark settings, but it is understandable as to why they did it.; I didn’t think the CGI was glaringly obvious (I’m not one to be able to pick out those things anyways).

I wasn’t a fan of Kurt Russell in this; I think they could have casted that character a bit better. I really hope he’s not in the next one. Speaking of new editions, I loved Jason Stathom in this. He’s made a name for himself when it comes to action movies, and I think he suited this role a lot. Looking forward to seeing him in the next one.

When Dom and his crew are trying to rescue(?) Ramsey, they were in Azerbaijan (from what I remember), my friend and I looked at each other after the crew was informed that they need to go to Abu Dhabi and Dom said something along the lines of “lets go to the Middle East”. I’m sure that out of the millions of dollars that went into this movie, someone could have purchase a map.

Letty fighting with the chicks with hijab’s and then that UFC chick was high-larious! My friend and I couldn’t help ourselves and we just kept laughing! “Would you believe it if I told you I killed him with my charm”. Ridiculous, with a capital R indeed!!!

I thought this movie was going to be on the sappy side because at the end of the trailer, Toretto, as always, says “I don't have friends, I have family” and it cut to a shot of Paul Walker. I didn’t like how Toretto had to say the word “family” a 100 times. We get it, family is important and you’re foreshadowing to the fact that Brian will not be in the next movie. I did like the ending though; I thought it was done tastefully. I also liked how the whole movie, rather just the end credits was a farewell to Paul.

Obviously there’s going to be an 8th installment, and here are my thoughts on it:
-it’s going to include more of Dwayne Johnson as Hobbs.
-the 2 brothers, Deckard and Owen Shaw are going to be the villains
-perhaps another female MMA fighter for Letty to duke it out with

No comments:

Post a Comment