January 25, 2013

The Fast and the Furious

2001 - 3/5

This is a movie that tries to be better than it really is. The plot follows the typical movie-plot graph (pictured below). But where this movie shines and stands out among the rest is integration of fast cars and good action. It increases what I like to call, the ‘cool factor’. Otherwise, there really isn’t much else. It reminds me of the movie Step Up, because you watch that movie for the dancing and music. Unfortunately, you have to sit through a so-so plot with crappy acting and terrible dialogue.

I don’t think I really need to discuss the plot. There isn’t much to it, and you can pretty much predict how things are going to play out.

When I said earlier that this movie tires to be something it’s not, I meant more so when it comes to the script. There was more than one occasion in which this movie was trying to subtly add a moral lesson. Those parts weren’t as subtle as I’m thinking the director expected them to be, and it came off as pathetic and cheesy.

The acting wasn’t a high point for this movie either. Aside from Paul Walker, everyone else sucked. Vin Diesel wasn’t that great, and neither was anyone else. For whatever it’s worth, I will say that the actors looked the part though.

Big cars, big guys, big egos. This movie has them all. It did have a bit too much ‘macho’ for my liking, but then again, you can’t have a movie like this without it. Let’s face it though, when you go to see a movie like this, you don’t go for the great plot, the script or the acting. You go for the nice looking cars, racing and action; the good music and good camera angles were a bonus.

To be completely honest, I kind of forgot how hot Paul Walker was. The man is gorgeous! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment