June 2, 2012

Marvel's The Avengers

2012 - 3.5/5

Although I am not a fan of comic-book movies, I have seen Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor and Capitan America. I honestly did not care to see this movie at all, let alone in theatres. But lo and behold, an opportunity to see it in the VIP Cinema for free came up and because I haven’t heard a single bad review, I took the offer.

I saw this movie in 3D and although I was trying to avoid doing so. I don’t think the 3D feature of the movie was necessary; it didn’t add much to the overall effects. It was probably only added for the higher ticket price. Aside from the 3D effects, the rest of the special effects were fantastic! Very well done.

Before going into this movie I was on the fence about it what I would think. I had heard that it had its funny moments and I was hoping the saving grace aspect of this movie would be the comedy to keep me interested. I actually really enjoyed the comedy in this movie – it was tasteful and fit the situation/s perfectly. The rest of the dialogue was also good.

This movie is over 2 hours, but it is very well paced and doesn’t drag. I was entertained the entire time. Everything that happened moved the plot forward and there were enough action scenes to keep your interest. I have to say that I am now looking forward to the sequel!

Of the 4 movies (that I have seen) that lead up to The Avengers I have to say that I liked Thor the best. Capitan America and The Incredible Hulk were okay and I wasn’t a fan of Iron Man (but to be more specific, I did not like Robert Downey Jr).

The characters meshed together perfectly and it wasn’t just a bunch of ego’s that clashed; at the same time, each stayed true to his/her own character. Each character got a good amount of screen time as well.

ACTING:
I mentioned earlier that I did not like RDJ. He was a very cocky character in Iron Man which I found unbearable. However, even though he is still the exact same character in this movie, I actually liked him. His cockiness seemed toned down a bit.

Chris Evans is HOT! I really liked how he was the one that gave everyone orders. I think it made sense that Capitan America would be the one to do that.

I took a liking to Chris Hemsworth when I saw Thor. I was reluctant to see that movie, but I’m happy I did because it turned out to be my favourite in this series. I think that my favourite fight scenes in The Avengers was any fight with Thor in it – his hammer was really cool!!! I had never heard of him before Thor, but he made such a big impression on me. I mentioned this in my review for Snow White & the Huntsman, but he truly suits the ‘fighter’ role in movies. I’m looking forward to seeing his upcoming movies. The next point is going to be completely random, but I just found out that Liam Hemsworth is his brother!

When it comes to The Hulk, I had seen the version with Edward Norton. To be completely honest, he is one of my favourite actors, so I had a bit of a bias going into this movie knowing that Mark Ruffalo was going to be Bruce Banner/The Hulk. I have to admit that when I saw The Incredible Hulk, I felt as if EN didn’t fit the role. He did fine with the movie, but it just didn’t suit him. I found that I actually ended up liking Mark Ruffalo more as The Hulk because, for starters, he kind of looked more like The Hulk and secondly, I felt as if he had more of Bruce Banner’s mannerisms. I’m not sure how much credibility you’d give me with that last statement considering I’m not very familiar with Marvel characters; but for what it’s worth, that’s my opinion.

I have not seen Iron Man 2, so I had no idea who Black Widow and Hawkeye were and how their characters fit into The Avengers, but I really liked Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye. I’m not a fan of Scarlett Johansson, but I think she did a fine job as Black Widow; but I just didn’t care for her character.

Since I have seen Thor, I thought that Loki was probably the most bad-assed villain I had seen in a while. Tom Hiddleston has that creepiness to him that sent chills down my spine. I think he was a bit more threatening in Thor than he was in this movie, but still good.

I was interested to see how Cobie Smulders would do in an action-flick. She’s a good actress, so I’m assuming she’d do a good job. And now that I’ve seen the movie, I think she did just fine with the role, but I wish that she had a bigger role and was more involved with some of the [gun] fights.

And last but not least, Samuel L. Jackson. I think that Nick Fury was a character written with him in mind. SLJ’s characters are relativity similar in most of his recent movies, but because this movie had a solid script, it set it apart from the crap he’s done before.

No comments:

Post a Comment