December 4, 2015

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

2015 - 3.2/5

Just a heads up… I never intended that this review be a comparison to The Fault In Our Stars (2014), but I couldn’t help it. So I apologize in advance that this is what this review has turned out to be.

This movie is exactly what I wanted The Fault In Our Stars to be (although I had read the book when it first came out and didn’t like it). Where that movie was too pretentious for its own good, this movie is a breathe of fresh air. I really enjoyed this movie. It reminded me of Juno (2007). To put it in the most simplistic terms, TFIOS is like McDonalds (January 2016 update: I actually don't mind McDonalds, so I'll change 'McDonalds' to 'crap'), and ME&tDG is like the awesome hole-in-the-wall restaurant you never knew you needed in your life.

The characters in this movie were far more believable than TFIOS. Greg’s wit and the bond he had with Earl and the bond he developed with Rachel (aka, the dying girl) didn’t seemed forced or make you want to rip your head off. Greg, Earl and Rachel weren’t using “profound” speech mixed with “typical teenage talk”; the dialogue seemed more genuine, authentic, and not at all cliché.

This is a very heartfelt movie. The movie was quirky and on the independent side and never felt like a Hollywood flick. It was a very grounded movie that stuck to its roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment