November 18, 2014

Dumb & Dumber To

2014 - 3/5

I was pretty excited to see this and from what I saw in the trailer, this has got to be good! And to call it Dumb & Dumber TO, was a good touch as well.

My friend and I were actually planning on seeing St. Vincent (2014), but because of traffic, we were a bit later than we wanted to be, so we ended up watching this. We did miss about the first 5 minutes of it, but it was just what we had already seen in the trailer with Harry visiting Lloyd and the whole catatonic prank.

The way I see it, there is no elephant in the room – you know exactly what you’re getting yourself into. You can’t go into this movie not expecting it to have a shaky plot, which it did. It had a decent enough storyline to allow the viewer follow Harry and Lloyd on their second road trip.

When you see the trailer, neither Jim Carey or Jeff Daniels have aged a bit; they look exactly like they did in the first one. I love that 20 years later, they're both still wearing pretty much the same thing. I also love that it has been 20 years since the first one came out, and its also been 20 years in the movie. The movie did have some well placed throwbacks to the original, for example, the blind kid with the bird being the same kid!

There were a few parts that could have been left out completely and you could tell they were all added in order to get just-one-more-laugh. They didn’t fit into the storyline 100%, but the director, for whatever reason, really wanted that line/joke in there. That’s not to say that there weren’t any good jokes. There were, but considering I saw this movie only a few hours ago, I can’t say I remember specifics. Unlike the first one, there wasn’t anything that was truly memorable.

In the first, both Harry and Lloyd were just naively stupid, like they so innocent they were dumb. But in this one, I found that they were more purposely immature. They weren’t as naïve, so at times they came off as mean.

Because this movie had so much to prove in the sense that it had big shoes to fill, a lot of it was overly done (which I was expecting). For me, this was a nostalgically fun movie to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment