March 28, 2014

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

2013 - 2.5/5

I had finished listening to the audio book a couple days before I watched the movie. With regards to the book, I thought the first half was on the boring side and drawn out, while the second half was a bit rushed and not as intense as the first book. I didn’t know how it would translate on screen, but I think the movie was better.

The pace of the movie was well done, and I didn’t feel as if it dragged as much as the book. Each time I think about what wasn’t added into the movie from the book, I’d quickly realize that it wasn’t necessary. I think that this time around, compared to the first, the director did a good job adding what was needed and leaving out the unnecessary parts.

There wasn’t a lot of character development for the new characters though, but at the end of the day, the story is about Katniss and Peeta, so it wasn’t a huge factor that was detrimental to the story. It was something that could be easily overlooked.

Overall, it was and wasn’t as good as the first. It wasn’t as good because the first was the plot was something new to me. It was better because I think the director for this made it so it flowed better than the first.

***SPOILER ALERT***
There was one particular part that when put on screen, turned out to be super silly/cheesy: the fog cloud. When Katniss first touched the fog, it made a loud sizzle noise. I rolled my eyes. It was too weird to buy. And the book explained how the water helped (a bit more than the movie showed), so when she went into the water and noticed it helped, it was just awkward!

No comments:

Post a Comment