January 3, 2014

Drive

2011 - 4/5

I was in the mood to watch something suspenseful and thrilling, that also had a lot of tension/drama. Pretty much exactly what I thought the movie Rush (2013) would be. Well, I couldn’t watch that, so I picked Drive; probably because it involved fast cars like Rush would have been.

Usually I can tell if I like a movie with the first 20 minutes. I only needed 5 for this movie for me to know that I will like it. With that being said, my first instinct is to say that I’d recommend this movie to everyone! After reading a few reviews on IMDB, I was surprised to find out that a lot of people thought it was a boring movie. Well, good thing this is my review; so yes, I would still recommend this to everyone!

This is what you get when everyone that worked on this movie actually put effort into what they were doing. The movie as a whole was simplistic. Less was defiantly more. That’s not to say that it didn’t have its gruesome moments, but that aside, the vibe that LA exudes came across in the movie too. The scene transitions were smooth and the editing overall was good. It has some good camera angles (when you see the other car through the back window; when you see the mask in Driver’s shades).

I liked the first song and I ended up loving the rest of them too. Great soundtrack! The music married up with what was on screen so well.

When it comes to the acting, there was no weak link. Like everything else with this movie, the acting was great!

I didn’t know Bryan Cranston was in this. I have pretty much liked him in everything I’ve seen and this has been added to that list. It seems as if the he doesn’t even know he’s being filmed. He’s such a natural actor.

Anything and everything that Driver (Ryan Goslings) did was great: his demeanor, his style, the smirk, the toothpick…yes, even the toothpick! He was slick!!! Everything he did was so calculated and meticulous. Gosling plays the part of a quiet guy so well, but you still feel that there is something darker behind those eyes. You want to know what he knows. You want to be able to do what he did.

This is for sure a movie that will have its cult followers, which is fine by me. I love seeing the artwork that’s created. I could have very easily added several more pictures to the end of this review, but I refrained myself from doing so… that’s not to say you shouldn’t look into it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment