July 30, 2013

R.I.P.D.

2013 - 0/5

When I first saw this trailer, it reminded me of Down to Earth; but an action version. It seemed like it would be a fun movie to watch, but I did think that the trailer gave too much away. I heard people saying that this movie is a rip-off of Men In Black. I have never seen MIB, so it’s not something I’d compare it to.

Ryan Reynolds (Nick) and Jeff Bridges (Roy) didn’t have any chemistry. They didn’t mesh together at all, so the comedy aspect was off. Reynolds isn’t that great of an actor, and it was really hard to understand Jeff Bridges voice most of the time. He sounded like a drunk slurring/mumbling his words. It happened throughout the entire movie and it annoyed me from beginning to end.

Acting aside, the storyline wasn’t that great either. It seemed as if they started filming it and creating the plot as they went along. They had a general idea of where it was going, but it just didn’t work. It was hard to believe that the RIPD was able to keep their business so hush-hush in the living world; so when Nick and Roy let that ‘deado’ run in the street, it was the first time that had happened? Ya right! I also didn’t think there needed to be a love story with Ryan and his wife. That didn’t fit in very well. It’s obvious why it’s there, but it didn’t work.

There isn’t much to say about the script other than it being as generic as they come. Like I said earlier, it was hard understanding Bridges anyways.

I can’t say that the next point I make is considered a saving grace, but the only thing I liked is Nicks ‘avatar’, the old Asian guy holding the banana (as the living see it). It made me laugh every time.

So if you don’t see this movie for the acting, the storyline or the dialogue, well… going to see it for the effects wouldn’t be a good call. There was nothing amazing about it. And why this movie was in 3D, I have no idea.

Skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment