February 10, 2013

The Impossible

2013 - 3/5

I’m not entirely sure why this movie had a limited release considering it’s based on true events about a Spanish family who went to Thailand in 2004 and a tsunami struck the area they had been in.

When it comes to based-on-a-true-story movies, I always think about which parts were embellished for the sake of an emotional response from the viewer, as well as which aspects were true and which were added in to make it more entertaining. I always find myself giving the movie a lower rating if I think it’s been exaggerated too much or if it strayed too far away from reality.

As for this movie, I think my rating of 3/5 is fitting, and it doesn’t include any of the previous bias I had just mentioned. Regardless of the details that may have been changed when it comes to the Alvárez-Belón family, it was a horrific event that affected thousands of people, not only in Thailand, but other’s around the world. Hundreds of thousands of people lost their homes, businesses, families and lives – something like this cannot be exaggerated or made to be overly dramatic. The tsunami happened. People died. This is a movie about one families survival.

Everything may not have happened the way the movie showed it, but I think it would be accurate to say that this movie makes you feel like what I would expect the Alvárez-Belón felt during the whole ordeal.

I don’t really know what to say about this movie other than ‘I liked it’. After having said that, my mind becomes blank and I have nothing further to say.

I really liked the acting by everyone, including the kids. Child actors are usually on the ‘miss’ side of the hit-and-miss spectrum, but the 3 kids in this movie played their roles so well.

It’s an incredible story and it’s very heart wrenching. And I don’t mean just for the Alvárez-Belón family, but everyone that went through it and their loved ones.

If you are interested in the Alvárez-Belón families account of the event, click here.

----------------------------------------------------------------
MOM'S REVIEW: 
-It was very good, and I love movies based on true events.

No comments:

Post a Comment