February 9, 2013

Identity Thief

2013 - 2/5

Going into this movie, I was hoping it would be a fun movie to watch. I wasn’t expecting it to be hilarious, but I just thought it would be fun to go along for the ride with Melissa McCarthy and Jason Bateman’s characters. Insert a sigh. The trailer shows a short and funny version of the movie.

Don’t get me wrong, McCarthy and Bateman were great. I love McCarthy, and that was the biggest reason as to why I decided to pay to see this movie, and Bateman is a good [type-casted] actor. I had no problem with their acting and I think the 2 best actors for the parts were picked. McCarthy and Bateman are the only reasons why I'm not giving this movie a 1/5.

I’m not entirely sure where to start this review with regards to the ‘where it went wrong’ aspect. Really though, this movies biggest fault was the script. The dialogue should have been something that propelled this movie forward and made it better than what the plot was. The dialogue was very average, so this movie wasn’t laugh-out-loud funny; I got a few of chuckles. I don’t mean to harp so much on the script, but for a movie like this, it’s the script that’s the glue that keeps everything together.

This movie could have been good, even for a road-trip movie, but it seemed as if some shortcuts were taken just for the sake of putting a movie together. The movie overall was a bit clunky. If you do want to see this movie, I’d say wait for it to come out on Netflix. But if you can’t wait that long, then see it on the cheap day.

***SPOILER ALERT***
You already have the road trip storyline, so I found it a bit too much to add the bounty hunter and gangsters(?) trying to get to Diane too. My issue isn’t so much adding that to the plot, but the fact that it wasn’t incorporated smoothly. They just came and went and it didn’t really make much of a difference. Neither of them really posed a threat. Even when they were caught, it just seemed like an easy way to remove them from the story.

The story surrounding Diane and her past didn’t strike an emotional cord or anything; and I don’t mean whether or not I related to it, I just mean that that part was a bit rushed. So you wanted to feel for Diane and her past, but the movie just blew right through it.

Near the end, I figured out that when Diane left Sandy’s home, I knew she went to turn herself in. What I was unsure of was how that would play out. As for how it did turn out, insert the I-don’t-know pose. That’s all I can really say.

No comments:

Post a Comment