January 13, 2011

Black Swan

2010 - 4/5

Plot: A-
I thought the plot was original and more so how it examined the behind-the-scenes (sort of) of professional ballet. This psychological thriller showcased the nitty-gritty, dark aspect of professional ballet. An IMDB reviewer said “Black Swan is an examination of obsession. Obsession for beauty, fame, and above all, perfection”.

Script: B-
My friend noted that this movie didn't really need a 'great script' - I agree; however my most liked lines were mainly things that Lily said; I wasn’t expecting any funny parts, but there were a few times I laughed; for example, my favourite conversation was between Lilly and Nina:

***SPOILER ALERT***

Nina: You put something in my drink.
Lily: Yeah.
Nina: And then you just took off in the morning?
Lily: In the morning?
Nina: Yeah, you slept over.
Lily: Um, no. Unless your name is Tom and you got a dick.
Nina: But we.
Lily: But we what, Nina?
[pauses]
Lily: Wait, did you have some sort of lezzy wet dream about me?
Nina: [whispers] Stop it.
Lily: Oh my God? Oh my God! You did! You fantasized about me!
Nina: Shut up!
Lily: [gasps] Was I good?

Acting: A+
Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis did a wicked job! Everybody else was fine and suited their roles.

Cinematography: B
Camera work was good. When it first started, a lot of the camera angles were Nina’s point of view, or following Nina – it got to be a bit much, but it didn’t continue a whole lot, so it was okay. The one point of view shot that I really liked was when Nina was spinning, so the camera spun around in a circle, froze on Thomas and spun again (that was very well done).
Hallucinations were done well.

Overall: A-
As for the director Darren Aronofsky, this movie would be the 4th movie of his I’ve seen; Requiem For A Dream (loved it), The Fountain (hated it) and The Wrestler (liked it) – including Black Swan, I’m 3 for 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment